The mission of our 1-to-1 learning program is to inspire the rising generation to reach the heights of their potential, ignite their curiosity to venture into challenging new learning experiences, and through service, empower them to be leaders who are committed to
family and community.
Then, they can achieve their dreams and shape their world.
What Is 1 to 1 Learning?
We want to facilitate … learning experiences for our students, so, we are handing out Macbooks again in August and September here at Central Middle School.
By definition, 1 to 1 learning involves one student, one computer, one interactive, personalized learning experience in a wireless environment with anytime access to the Internet. The reality is that 1 to 1 configurations in schools range from laptops checked out to all students 24/7 (24 hours per day, 7 days per week), to classrooms of students using wireless laptops available from mobile carts only during the school day. The most powerful learning from 1 to 1 is realized in the 24/7 configuration, guided by highly qualified teachers and informed parents/guardians.
Goals for 1 to 1 Learning
Different schools implement 1 to 1 learning for different reasons. In general, the goals driving most 1 to 1 computing initiatives fall into four categories:
• Improving Student Achievement
• Advancing Digital Equity
• Enhancing Teaching and Learning
• Strengthening Economic Development
A current challenge facing proponents of 1 to 1 learning is in defining success. While educators often cite goals other than student achievement, the formal evaluation of such projects is often based entirely on gains in test scores.
Technology Facilitator Expectations
- Skillful Collaborators
- Assist the principal in providing assistance with our One-to-one Learning Initiative
- Assist teachers with laptop issues
- Showcase effective strategies
- Assist teachers with planning of technology integration in lesson plans
- Distribute and collect laptops
- Assist the school with establishing guidelines and procedures as related to the One-to-one Laptop Learning Initiative
Skillful Job-Embedded Coaches
- Works with individuals and teams to provide support in across the curriculum.
- Select strategies to help teachers meet content goals while implementing literacy strategies
- Provide professional development, and provide feedback.
Skillful Instructional Strategies
- Know the demand of technology in all content areas
- Know and model skillful methods in all disciplines
- Prioritize 21st Century learning in schools
- Engage parents and communities in the one-to-one learning process
Essentials for Success
Using NetTrekker at CMS
- Systematic Calendar
- Mini-workshops offered on planning
- Modeling in classrooms
- Individual or Team Coaching
- Meeting with principals and Teams
- Assessment and Data Study
- Staff Development Planning
John BlakeCreate Your Badge
Below is an image of Mr. Blake replacing the topcase of a Macbook.